Movement from the EU

​The movement of trade within the Community is regulate from a Plant Health point of view by means of the issuing of a plant passport. Contrary to the Phytosanitary Certificate the plant passport is emitted by the producer or trader. Such a producer or trader must first be registered with the Plant Health Directorate and then must be authorised to issue plant passports. Plant passports were introduced in the Community upon the creation of the Single Market and were then regulated by Council Directive 92/105/EC. The issue of a plant passport is nowadays regulated primarily by Council Directive 2000/29/EC that has been transposed in our national legislation by Legal Notice 97 of 2004. Each person or firm authorised to issue plant passports is regularly monitored by the plant quarantine inspectorate.